Wednesday 21 March 2012

Just Breathe

The story behind this little song (play audio clip below) as told by ZeFrank:

"I received an email from a woman named Laura, who had recently moved to a new city for a new job. She was overwhelmed with anxiety and asked me to write her a song to help her calm down. I asked her to send me an email describing what it felt like when she was overwhelmed."

Her e-mail began "it feels like days don't start. and days dont end. there is no sense of time. it feels like being dropped into a dark void. completely dark. and all the darkness has weight, a thickness. not liquid. not a solid. something else. and you're trapped. and the longer you are there you know the black is just growing and growing and growing. and there is nothing you can do."

"I wrote a sketch of a chorus and quietly asked some people in my audience to record themselves singing along while wearing headphones. I received about thirty recordings and mixed the tracks together (w/o any pitch correction) to create the chorus."

ZeFrank sent the finished song to Laura and she wrote back:

"This is one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. I can't thank you enough. I don't even know how to. To feel like everything is spinning out, and have a relative stranger do this, with other total strangers participating *is* overwhelming. In an incredible way.

Thank you so so so so much.
Laura"
(Read the full story here)


3 comments:

Joan and Gord Majeran said...

I love this Charla, it's beautiful!!!

LiNds said...

What a great song!!

Bonnie White said...

Where do you find all these lovely gems? Again it proves to me what a wonderful woman you are. NOT boring. Breathing.