Thursday 23 February 2012

Fr. Barron comments on Terrence Malick's "Tree of Life" (SPOILERS)



I really liked the movie "The Tree of Life". It's a movie I would like to own and watch every once in a while. I thought it was beautiful, poetic and thoughtful.

One line that has played in my head since seeing the movie for the first time is "Father, Mother, always you wrestle inside of me." I've been thinking a lot in the past year about competition vs cooperation. These are the words that came to me as I watched the film. I was so interested to hear Fr. Barron use the words nature vs grace to discribe what I think are the same ideas.

I also really loved the scenes where the oldest son prays the prayers he is taught in church and then the whispers of of the real, genuine prayers from his heart are heard - the truth that comes from the boy, unscripted, just seems like such authentic prayers for a young boy - the questions, the doubts.

What a beautiful film - I'm still digesting it.

2 comments:

LiNds said...

Very cool commentary. I like what he says at the end about submitting to and embracing the Lord's way instead of trying to do things on our own.

Bonnie White said...

I haven't seen the film yet. I shall upon your recommendation.